Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Week 7 - No. 17 Technology

When I began took classes for the Masters of Library Science at Emporia State University in Kansas 1978-79, we were told that libraries would soon be computerized to deal with the Information Revolution already in progress. It was actually 10 years after this when I worked for the Lee County Library System in Ft. Myers, FL, that we brought up the first DOS based version of Dynix to manage circulation. We still had separate stand alone computers that were only updated periodically to search for materials for customers. We have "come a long way, baby" from those humble beginnings. Even the sky may not be the limit for technology and its applications!!

I just finished adding my comment to beatlelover-nancy.blogspot.com. What is scary is that I can see the future she predicts where we are "all watched over by machines with loving grace" just as Richard Brautigan did. Will librarians be needed--or will be become lovable dinosaurs?!

1 comment:

Nonnyrose said...

Can you believe that up until about 2 years ago, I still had people come in and ask where the card file was?